Thursday 14 July 2011

Why I hate Dexamethasone

.....I hate it because it is 3:21am and most of you are fast asleep, but I am awake and making Aly chicken and rice.  I hate this steroid because it has taken my little Aly away for 5 weeks.  The little girl who loved her night time routine of having a bath, brushing her teeth and reading a story, now stands at the sink screaming while I wash her down witha cloth because she refuses to take a bath.  She screams as I try to brush her teeth because the chemo has caused mouth sores to develop .... she no longer wants a story everynight, instead opting to sit alone in her room watching a movie ( yes - she now has a TV and DVD player in her room).  The little girl who used to love playing outside and going for walks, barely even wants to get out of bed.  She watches movies all day long and periodically helps me make a fried egg sandwich or two.  I do my best to get her up and about, and we normally venture over to Granny and Popa's for a visit just so she can get outside and get some freshair. I hate it because the cute little girl who used to make me laugh and run around the house is an emotional roller coaster and grumpy and moody for most of the day.

Dexamethasone - - I know you are protecting our Aly from some of the side effects that she may experience from chemo, but I hate you right now.  In 2 more weeks I will be happy to see you go so I can have my loving little girl back.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Audrey and Aly, having a blog is an excellent way to share your thoughts and feelings as well as updating all of us who are thinking of you and wishing you well. My nephew is just finishing his treatment for ALL and moving into maintenance. It has been a long year but he persevered as will Aly. Kids are so strong. My thought and prayers for continued strength are with you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haydyn misses you Aly, let us know if your up for another visit... How cute was she when she said "Haydyn, do you want a sandwich too? My mom will make it!" Great job on the blog Audrey!
    The Van Heuvelens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Audrey,
    My name is Angie, your brother told me about Aly's diagnosis and I just read the his fb posting about your blog. Your blog just brought back a flood of memories for me, in fact this is probably the stage of Matt's treatment that I remember the most and it is most memorable because of the steroids. If I remember correctly this was probably the longest stretch of steroid use during the protocol. You are right, it is the worst, I hated it too. I always felt that the steroids were worse than any of the chemo! Matt had similar symptoms to Aly's the difference being that he craved dill pickles and spaghetti at all hours. It is very difficult to watch your child experience the side effects of steroid therapy but this too will pass. The side effects do not appear to linger so when they're done they're done! Matthew managed treatment very well. I was amazed and inspired by him everyday. Matt was diagnosed at 4 years of age, he is now almost 11. He has been out of treatment for 4 years and proudly calls himself a surviour! Hang in and Hang on! Go Aly! Feel free to contact me if you would like.
    Angie Tidman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    The Moore family sends their positive energy and best wishes along with our thoughts and prayers to all of you. Kids are fighters particularly when they come from great parents! Stay strong Wee Aly you have lots of folks pulling for you and your speedy recovery.

    Lots of Love
    Eamonn (lets play soon!), Oliver (let me play with your toys soon!) Carolyn and Richard.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Audrey, Brian, Aly and Granny & Grampa Jones,
    As hard as it is you need to love everything that can possibly help that wee girl. As difficult as it is for everyone around her, its her wee body that is trying to cope with all the drugs and changes around her. And hey, fried eggs on rolls are a Scottish staple and taste pretty good at 2:00 in the morning, just ask big Al! We will check your blog daily for updates Audrey and it might help you to share your thoughts with all of us who love you. Hope to see you all soon. In the meantime "keep the faith kid". love you, Cathy and Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela Hollywood22 July 2011 at 10:08

    Hi Audrey,
    My name is Angela and I am a close friend of Denise's. Jackson and I have been including Aly in our nightly prayers. Jackson said that he wants to give Aly all of his Star Wars movies to watch because Denise told him how much she loves Star Wars!! He said they might make her "feel better". If there is anything we can do to help you out, please don't hesitate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Audrey, just want you to know you and Aly are still in our thoughts. Another week to go I guess, we are keeping our fingers and toes crossed. Will be watching the blog for updates. Give the wee one a hug. Love Cathy and Alex xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aly, was speaking to your Granny last night. She was so happy you were feeling better yesterday. We'll be coming to Kingston soon and we will come to see you and bring you something nice. Be good. Lots of Love, Cathy and Alex xxx

    ReplyDelete