Friday 29 July 2011

.....not much to report.

Well today was the big day - she had her post induction bone marrow and lumber puncture in addition to her first round of chemo into her spinal fluids.  Unfortunately we don't have anything to report in terms of results.  We have allowed Aly to participate in studies that occur in the US ( which has a much larger study base than Canada) so her marrow etc has to be sent to the US.  We might have some preliminary results sooner, but we will have to be patient.  Her Dr has been out of the country for the last week, so it will be interesting to chat with her this week and see what she things about all the issues Aly has been experiencing ( no movement in her arm, bad bad diaper rash, blood infectio etc...)
 In general I think Aly had a better day today.  After her procedures she spent most of the afternoon napping, but when she was awake Granny noticed little bit of our Aly coming back.  Her appetite has decreased a bit but I am not sure if that has to do with being in the hospital, being off the steroids or a side effect of the chemo she received today.  Her arm is still bothering her, but I was pleased tonight to see that she was able to lift it straight into the air and even move her fingers slightly.  The Dr said that her blood is no longer growing bacteria, so hopefully they are somewhat related and she is on the mend.

 I think I must partially be in denial that Aly has cancer.  I walk around the pediatric floor and find myself  saying - - Aww look at that poor little kid / baby - I think it has cancer - - poor thing.  It takes a minute before it registers that my little baby has cancer too.  I think I just have such strong feelings that she is going to beat this, and I am so caught up in living in the moment, that perhaps I haven't given myself the time to step back and think of what is really happening........we can put that piece on hold for now and I shall continue to do what I am doing - because I think it is working for me. 

I cannot say enought about the nurses that work on the pediatric floor - - they are fantastic!  For that of you that think of Aly often and worry about her, hopefully it helps you to know that she is in good hands.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Audrey,
    Your reaction to Aly's illness seems similar to the way I reacted to Matty's. I did not use the word cancer for a long while, I tricked myself into believing that he was just sick. I also lived only in the moment, never looked back, never looked forward, and I have to say it worked well for me. I was able to focus completely on the Matts needs as they arouse. Hang in there, when Dr. S gets back she will know what to do - she always does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. de Haan Family30 July 2011 at 13:11

    Aly, Audrey and Brian: Bless your hearts for your courage in all of this and for sharing with the many, many people out here who think of you constantly. I once had a boss ( perhaps you know her?) with Aly's valour and steadfastness so I happen to know she is in good hands and heart!
    With love and positive thoughts, Patsy

    ReplyDelete