Wednesday 20 July 2011

...heading into Week 5

Although this is only week 4, I can't help but think ahead to next week.  Instead of just getting chemo next Thursday, it's the BIG DAY.  Aly will undergo another bone marrow test and spinal tap.  She will be sedated for both procedures ( thank goodness) ....... and then we wait to see what her results are.  At this phase she will have completed her 5 week induction period and the hope is that the results of her test will show that the cancer is gone and she will be in remission.  I have no idea how to feel, I have to remain hopeful, however I also have to be prepared if it's not the news we want to hear.  I guess that is why the saying " Plan for the worst, and hope for the best".  I will continue to remain positive, but the time we have to wait will be the most emotional ( and longest ) wait yet.  Based on the results from that test the Dr's will determine the next phase of her treatment ....... and she will have to continue to receive chemo for 2.5 - 3 years - - mainly as a preventative measure.

Aly had her bloodwork done yesterday and her results were strong, her platelettes are back up to what they would be for a "healthy" child.  I was nervous that she was going need a transfusion, only because she was so lathargic, but everything was good.  After the clinic visit yesterday she was in better spirits and I want to thank Erin and Gracie for bringing her over some movies last night - - she has watched them both twice now!

......fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow when she receives this weeks dose of chemo .... then we will move ahead into Week 5 - - I feel like I might need a lot of wine next week!  Thank you to everyone who reads the blog, I hope it helps you as much as it seems to be helping me!

5 comments:

  1. We are always thinking about you and praying for the best:)
    Love
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Audrey & Brian,

    There is not a minute that goes by that I don't have Aly on my mind, and when I have a blether and bubble with your mum I know how hard it is for Aly and the two of you. When Aly first got diagnosed it was the family who was there trying our best to support you and also each other. I now know that not only do you have family supporting you but friends as well. They might not all let you know how they feel, but they the amount of support and love coming your way could fill a football field not only in Canada but in Scotland as well with Margaret & Vi and the extended family and friends. Like me, they would all give their right arm if they thought it would help Aly. You are on the last lap of this first battle and Aly is winning. Let her be as cheeky and angry as she wants to be if that's what getting her through it. Although she is only 2, she is one smart wee cookie with a spirit to match.

    So Audrey and Brian, hang in there and know that we are all sending you as much love and prayers as we can to give the three of you the courage and strength to get through this. Uncle Gordon and I can't wait until next week so that we can celebrate Aly's remission.

    All my love,
    Auntie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather McCarty20 July 2011 at 20:15

    Well I just got caught up on all your posts. With tears streaming down my face, I want you to know that I'm thinking of you, Aly, Brian and your family and sending all good, healthy vibes Aly's way. I know I have only met the little lady once, but I still remember the weight of Aly all swaddled in my arms while visiting you in the hospital after she was born.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey and Brian and ALY and all the rest of Aly's loved ones,
    You are not on this journey alone, you are surrounded by love and goodness. Although you may not see it now, and would rather not be here, I promise you something good will come from this. Remain faithful and hopeful and the grace of all love will heal and envelope you with strength. When you feel overwhelmed and fear is near you, just close your eyes and feel the hands of your community that are lifting you through this. We are all fighting with you, Aly, you are going to win!
    trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey-
    I know I am far away but I am sending as much love as possible all the way from Georgia!! I will be following Miss Aly and praying for her speedy recovery. She is a beautiful little girl!! Take care!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete