Saturday 16 July 2011

Bonding over a fried egg sandwich ...

....it seems that Aly is her happiest first thing in the morning.  She normally wakes me up by yelling for me, or more recently, getting out of bed and tapping me on the shoulder whispering "mommy, I want an egg sandwich."  Sometimes is 8am, but other times it might be 5am or earlier, but regardless of the time we both get up and head to the kitchen.  Aly gets the egg and cheese out of the fridge ( ...keep in mind she is only 2 years old) and I get the frying pan ready.  She cracks the egg into the bowl and breaks the yolk with a fork.  Once the pan heats up she puts the egg in, and pushes the toast into the toaster.  She knows that we have to wait until the egg turns white before we flip it, and once it hits that point - she is so excited and ready to do the flip all on her own.  Knowing that the pan is hot, she takes the healthy processed cheese slice (yuk) out of the wrapping and whips it into the pan so she doesn't burn herself.  Finally the toast pops and she screams in excitement......it's almost like she has been dreaming of this ALL night long ( or at least since she last ate one at 2am)  After every sandwich is finished being made -- she always says, thank you mommy - I love you.
  Who knew that I would love making an egg sandwich so much.  We then go into her room and watch a movie while she eats her sandwhich.....and eventually she dozes off again.

We are heading into week 4 of a 5 week "induction" period for her treatment, and we are hoping that once this is complete, she will be in remission.  She has not experienced any side effects to the chemo treatments, and although this period of treatment is so important, the chemo is quite light.  The steroids have the biggest impact and they actually kill some of the cancer cells as well.  As we progress through the stages of treatment, the chemo will become more intense but steriods will not be as intense and there will be times where she will not be on them at all.  At this time she hasn't lost any of her hair ( not that she had much to lose) but I did cut off her little baby mullet as I wanted to have it before the chemo made it all matted.

Another big thanks to all of our family and friends who have offered us so much support over the last few weeks, it is truly amazing and overwhelming how many people love our wee Aly!

4 comments:

  1. Very impressed with Aly's egg sandwich independance - glad you're keeping this blog Audrey... I'm sure you'll find it therapeutic. Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping us all updated on Aly's progress, it's much appreciated. Just wanted you to know that we're all thinking of you and wishing you all the best. And I must say Aly has great taste, I love egg sandwiches :).

    Love you guys,
    Mel, Rob, Kyle, Dylan and Skye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey is the best! I don't even hear Aly come in the bedroom or Audrey get up to make the sandwich most of the time, and no mattter how many times she has been up that night she won't wake me??? I love you!!! .....Brian(Daddy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys, wow, i dont even know what to say, I have just read through all this and I can honestly I am shell shocked. Hope the treatment goes well and Aly gets better soon!! Love to you all

    ReplyDelete