Friday 19 August 2011

... She's baaack!

Well it has taken some time, but the steroids are gone from Aly's system and she is back to normal ..... even better than normal.  I have noticed a difference in Al'y speaking, comprehension and dexterity since she was first diagnosed.  It has nothing to do with the treatment, but I see her growing and developing like a healthy little girl.  She can use her hands better than ever... and I was so pleased to see her pull the lid off of a magic marker today ....... what I didn't like seeing were the marks it left on our LCD TV.  It appears Ms. Aly found some alone time to add her signature art work to the TV.  Good news is it isn't really noticeable, unless you look at the TV at just the right angle.
  We had a clinic visit today and Aly underwent her final LP ( spinal tap ) for this round of treatment.  We arrived at the clinic just before 8:30 am and since it's been some time since Aly was there ( due to her hospital admission) she was a bit upset and "feisty" when the nurse tried to access her port.  It is never a fun procedure.  As lovely as the nurses are, poor Aly has to sit on my lap as I hold back her arm and the nurse cleans off her chest and prepares to access her port.  I had put a freezing patch over the area this morning at about 7:45, so it was nice and frozen by the time the nurse inserted the needle into her chest.  They promise me that she cannot feel it, and that getting blood and flushing her port does not hurt, but I am not sure I buy it 100%.  She screams and screams every time but I try to tell myself those tears are more about anxiety than pain.  Blood work is done and before long we are in a treatment room surrounded by Doctors, residents and a nurse.  I was impressed that with a room full of about 8 people not including my mom, Aly and I - Aly didn't seem phased at all.  I lift her onto the bed and try to distract her as the resident accesses her port and begins to administer the sedative.  The first med that she is given is to relax her - - and it works.  She rolls back into my arms and begins to talk about what is happening in the room.  She mentions that it is too loud and asks everyone to be quiet, then as the resident pushesg the syringe of sedative into her IV, we tell Aly that we are giving Wall-E ( her port) a drink of milk ( it's white liquid).  In seconds I now have my daughter laying next to me stoned out of her mind .... and finally drifts off to sleep.  I think it is important to mention that only a few years ago they did this procedure with no sedation. I cannot imagine holding a 2 year old, (as feisty as Aly) tightly in the fetal position while a doctor inserts a needle full of chemo into her lower spine.....no thanks!    The entire procedure only takes about 10 minutes, however today they needed to top of the drugs a bit as she did not fall into a deep enough sleep initially.  She had a good sleep after it was all over, and when she finally woke up she remained in the room and watched her favourite movie, Wall- E on a portable DVD player.  Once she had rested for an adequate amount of time, we were able to leave.  We then drove home, picked up Papa and took him out to lunch for his birthday ...... Aly picked the location, so McDonald's it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment