Wednesday 30 January 2013

Admitted :(

Well since our last visit to clinic last week, Miss Aly has not been herself.  It was hard to nail down what the issue was, she was on steroids so the whiney episodes and sleepiness made sense.  It wasn't until Monday morning when she woke up with goopy eyes, that quickly turned into pure bloodshot eyes the following day.  She was sent home from school on Tuesday with what they thought might be pink eye.  I do recall her eyes being sensitive and a little pink that morning, however I was shocked to see what they looked like when I got home from work that night.  The tops of her eyes were pure red - where they should be white.  I took sent an email down to her clinic advising that I thought she had pink and looked for some direction on what we should do.  They suggested that we keep her at home and give her some polysporin drops to help her eyes and let them know if it got worse.  Well that night I noticed it was worse, so I sent a photo to them that clearly showed the red mapping on her eyes.  I finally settled Aly in bed and although she felt very warm her temperature never exceeded 37.4.  In the morning I knew I wouldn't be sending her to school so off to Granny's she went.  I had an early morning meeting, but as soon as I left I asked that Granny take her temperature - 38.4 so I called her clinic and they told me to come down.  They took blood, urine sample and even took extra blood to do cultures on her blood in case she had no immune system.  Before long the results were back and her neutrophils were 0.01 ( anything under 0.5 is considered neutropenic) so gave us an automatic admission.  Her IV was put in and within moments she was receiving fluids and her first round of antibiotics.  If all goes well she will be admitted for 48 hrs and then be discharged with antibiotics to take at home.  This virus is common in kids right now and apparently can hold on for 2 weeks or so.  Since she has been unwell for over a week know, I hope we are half way through it!  Since we arrived at the hospital her eyes have gotten worse, it looks like the redness is spreading and moving lower in her eyes.  They don't seem to bother her too much and they are no longer yucky.  Her ear is apparently also infected, and it seemed to really her bother her last night, but tonight it seemed much better.  Not sure if that is the antibiotic working or not.  The antibiotics she is on are not really to treat the virus as there us not really much you can do for a virus, however it is really to prevent her from getting anything else - especially since she has absolutely no immune system to fight it.  When nurses come into the room they are fully masked and wear an additional robe to protect themselves and Aly - - it doesn't really seem to phase her - likely because she was so used to them coming in to hang her chemo bag and they were dressed as though they were being launched into space.  To think that they are fully dressed in this protective gear, including face shield because they do not want to expose the chemo to their skin - yet they are about to inject it into the veins of my baby - hmmm something is not right here. 
Anyway - - Aly is fast asleep tonight and I hope that she has a good sleep and that she does not wake when the nurses come to check her temperature throughout the night.  Oh I guess I should mention that tonight when she woke from her late afternoon nap - her fever spiked to 40.4 Celsius ( 104 Fahrenheit) - that was a bit concerning, however after some meds it seemed to drop quickly.  I was just glad we were here when that happened and not at home.  Her wee body was so warm, she could have heated a small building.  I will wait to meet with her Dr in the morning to see how she is progressing.  I will be sure to update ...

No comments:

Post a Comment