Sunday 29 January 2012

I wanna be sedated ...

On Friday we arrived at the Cancer clinic at 8:45am - - the roads were a bit icy and Aly slept in a bit longer than expected, so we were about 15 minutes later than I wanted to be.  It was a somewhat normal clinic visit, except I was unable to give Aly any food as she was being sedated that morning for a lumbar puncture/spinal tap.  She did ask for some food, but seemed to understand when I told her she needed to have an empty stomach because she was having a "nap" today at clinic.  That seems to be the  only way that I can explain to her what happens at clinic when she is sedated.  I don't think its necessary to tell her that the Dr's are inserting a needle into her lower back, as I think that may freak her out.  She seems to be content in knowing that as she lays on the cot, surrounded by doctors, residents, nurses, her Granny and Mommy.  She knows that she is going to have a rest, because in the past, when she gets her first dose of meds she has said, "is it ok if I just rest now...." and will lay down on her back on the table.  The last few times she has been sedated, she has been pretty feisty and tried to stand up, or swing her arms around, so I didn't expect her to be so calm that day.  She was sitting nicely on the bed looking down at something in her lap, perhaps her toes, and seconds after the "white" medicine was administered she fell limp and leaned forward into my arms. I then put her head in my hand and place her back onto the bed, kissed her on the forward and left the room. The procedure only takes minutes, but I always take that opportunity to go and grab a coffee.  I know that she is in good hands and that there is always a nurse, resident or doctor that stays with her until I get back into the room and she wakes up.
So she slept for about 30 minutes after the procedure and then wanted to watch a movie.  While she watched the movie she received 2 more rounds of chemo ( vincristine and methotrexate) then she sat on her daddy's lap while the nurse ( and I) de-accessed her port  - - and we were off!  Aly is such a strong kid and never seems to get sick after receiving all these meds.  The nurse does give her some medication beforehand to avoid the nausea, and I will give her some gravol at home, but she has yet to get sick ( knock on wood).  We are back at the clinic in 10 days to receive her final round of chemo in this phase of treatment ( interim maintenance II)  I am not sure what is next, but I am sure I will find out in 10 days!

2 comments:

  1. We know of Aly's fight through Gail - I just want to say - our thoughts are with you - she truly is an amazing girl - I love this picture of her - an honest, straightforward look into the camera - she looks beautiful. Sonia Hingley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Audrey, I just found out about Aly's fight through a co-worker. I know exactly what you are going through. I was reading some of the stories on your blog here and it brought back all the memories of what my son when through. The port you talked about, when his VON would come into the house she always said " if you go to the hospital and the nurse you get doesn't know how to use the port tell her to find someone that does that what it is there for to be used" we just laughed. The meds you mentioned they were the same. When my oldest son was 18 he was diagnosed with TCell lymphoblastic lymphoma/leukemia. He missed his last month of grade 12 and his first semester of grade 13 but still graduated. He lost his hair..of what a day that was. We walked into the barber shop which was a girl I knew..he sat down in the chair and said "well this is how it is..I have to go through chemo, my hair is going to fall out so could you buzz it off please" she tried not to cry in from of him..she just looked at me in disbelief....and proceeded to shave his head. Jason had 2 blood transfusions..we were at the hospital a couple of times when he had a fever..of course in the middle of the night...they never get fevers in the day time...he would fall asleep and I would just sit there watching the Drs. and Nurse move around the ER. Another time the VON came to the house she had to give him a med in his leg..she asked " which leg would you like this in" he replied " YOURS" she laughed..

    I know it is very hard to watch our children, no matter what age they are go through this. Just remember you are not alone. Some times you have to take one day at a time..some times 1 minute at a time. Jason is now 32 and married and in remission. It has been 14 years since he was diagnosed. The Drs and Nurses at the cancer clinic are wonderful people. Your are in my thoughts and prayers. If you feel up to it my email address is included. I will be watching on here to see just how Aly is doing....take care...

    Sharon Andrews (sharonjj@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete