Monday 19 December 2011

Neutropenic

Well Aly is now neutropenic - - what timing.  We just wrapped up 2 weeks of daily clinic visits for chemo, and has not had chemo for just over a week.  That all seems great, but what that also means is that her blood counts drop and she becomes neutropenic, which means she has no immume system.  That started last Tuesday at clinic ... so I have been taking precautions ever since.  Aly has no interaction with kids, and we limit adult visitors to immediate family.  She is not allowed to go to public places like the mall, or movie theaters, so it has been a bit of a challenge wrapping up my christmas shopping, but luckily granny and popa live close by and her daddy got home from BC on Thursday.  She doesn't understand why she can't got to these places and I feel horrible, because we kept promising her that when her daddy got home we would take her to the new Chipmunk movie - - hopefully it stays in theathers for a bit longer.  We go back to the clinic tomorrow to see how her blood work is.  I hope that her counts begin to improve considering Christmas is in less than a week.  We have lots of family coming up on Christmas day and I want Aly to be able to visit with them, exchange gifts and have dinner - - but I will not put her health at risk for it.
If Aly gets a fever during this time, she needs to go to the hospital immediately.  I must check her temperature at least 5 times a day, and I love nothing more than feeling that cold clamy forehead of hers ( just like her dad).  Who knew I would love that so much - -but it always puts a smile on my face.  I am worried about her be exposed to germs right now, and in a house with 2 adults, a 3 year old, a yellow lab and a new chocolate lab puppy ... that is a challenge.  I am also fighting a horrible cough, one that I got from Aly and I think she picked it up during our last visit to emerg. .... and I am washing my hands like crazy so she doesnt get sick again.

Now although she is neutropenic - - you would never know it.  I am not sure I have seen Aly with this much energy, or this happy since May of this year.  She is full of energy, running around, wanting to play hide and seek all day, making crafts, baking for the holidays and taking the dogs for walks.  It is so nice to see her like this, and I hope that we are over the hard parts of treamtent.   I take each good day as I get them, and it seems to help me get through those not so great days.  I look forward to this year coming to an end and hope that 2012 brings much better news and health and happiness.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear of this latest development and I sure hope that the counts begin improving in time for Christmas with the family. Did she get a package from the States Santa? I hope it got there for her. Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season!!!

    ReplyDelete